Well, if the washer of your washing machine is conked out. After the completion of whole cycle, your clothes still in wet condition. And if you see the standing water inside your washing machine drum then it means that you might having some issue with the drain and pump.
How to Drain a Washing Machine Manually?
Most of the washing machines are very simple, such issue are happened due to the clogged drain or hose. But before making any adjustments, you need to empty the whole appliances in order to avoid huge watery mess. In this article, I will tell you each and everything that how to drain a washing machine manually if you are having a front load or a top load washer.
Things Needed for Manually Draining a Washing Machine:
You need such things in order to draining a washing a machine manually:
- Needle-Nose Pliers.
- Shallow Container Like a Baking Dish (For front loading washing machines)
- Plumbers Snake
- Owner’s Manual for Extra help
How to Drain Manually for Top Loading Washing Machine?
You have to remember one thing that before starts trying the drain a top loading washing machine, you have to check that the lid is properly closed or not. Because the top loading washing machine starts draining and spinning when the lid is properly closed.
Well, sometimes the lid will lock, that’s why the lid could be a problem. So, you have to press the lid down firmly and examine if the drain starts draining or not. If not, then you have to follow these steps which are mentioned below:
- Turn off the power of washing machine or cut the circuit breaker in order to avoid any injuries.
- In order to see the hose, you have to pull the washing machine away from the wall. There are three color types of hose, for hot water the color of the hose is red and blue for the cold, normally the hose is usually in grey color.
- For extra precaution, you have to move the knob counterclockwise in order to turn off the knob of hot(Red) and cold(Blue) water.
- Now, get the bucket of 5 gallons and place the bucket near the hose of the washing machine and disconnect hose in order to drain water from the filters.
- Once the bucket is completed fills and reconnect drain hose. Empty the bucket inside the basin. Repeat the whole process once the whole water has drained completely.
- Also, check if the water is draining slowly, then you have to use snake in order to remove the clog. You have to keep the hose over bucket in order to catch debris.
Remember, if the hose of the drain looks clear, then it means that there might be more major issues instead of simple clog. Then, you have to contact professional for complete check up.
How to Drain Manually for Front Loading Washing Machine?
If you see a standing water inside the drum of the washing machine, then you have to drain a washing machine manually. If you don’t know how to drain a washing machine manually, then don’t worry follow the steps which are mentioned below in order to drain the washing machine manually.
Steps of Draining a Front Loading Washing Machine:
Front loading washing machine sometimes have clogged filters which needs to be cleaned in order to drain the water from drum. Follow steps which are mentioned below:
- Turn off the power of washing machine or cut the circuit breaker in order to avoid any injury.
- Find the drain filters or tube on the front of the washing machine. All these parts are behind the panels on the front bottom of the washing machine.
- Now, place the towel in front of the washing machine in order to catch the excess amount of water.
- If you are having only drain filters, then slowly move the knob counterclockwise in order to release the water in the container. Once emptied, turn knob into clockwise direction in order to shut it down.
- Machines which is having drain pump or tube, unclip the tube and remove the end of the cap for releasing water. You have to replace the cap and reclip the hose after water is completely released.
- Use soft bristle cleaning brush with warm water in order to clean properly.
If the washer of the washing machine malfunction on the next cycle, then you have to contact with local washing machine repairing company for complete inspection. Also Read: Furnace Maintenance Checklist
Also, you have to know other reasons of draining in order to get complete knowledge of how to drain a washing machine. Let’s discuss …
Why is my Washing Machine is not Draining?
If the washing machine drum is still having water after the washing cycle is completed, then there might be some draining problem. Normally, you are able to solve many issues very easily, but if the washing machine with older parts causes very serious problems because the old parts effects the performance of washing machine.
Types of Issues Which Affect the Draining of Washing Machine:
- Lid Stuck
- Drain / Hose is Clogged
- Broken or Jammed Pump
You have to close the lid in order to complete the cycle of washing machine because if the door or the lid stuck, then close this lid before each wash. Also, you have to check that the lid remains stuck in the open position or not.
Drain/ Hose is Clogged:
Such things like wandering, soap scum and lint accumulation can clog the drain and in result you will see a standing water inside the drum. There’s also a risk of clogged hose. Water that is backed up won’t drain completely or quickly enough.
Broken or Jammed Pump:
Basically, the pump moves the water from the drum to the hose of washing machine. When the pump is jammed or broken, water is unable to move toward hose. Average drain pump last for at least 5 years, also you have to check the debris and for maintenance but if there’s any older part, then you have to replace all the older parts. Also Read: Why is my Water Heater leaking and how to Fix?
Troubleshooting of Clogged Washing Machine:
Once you clean the filters or hose and drain the washer, then you have to do the regular maintenance in order to avoid further clogs in future. If you don’t clean your washing machine filters regularly, then you will face drain issues. So keep it clean.
Vinegar and Baking Soda:
You are able to use vinegar and baking soda for removing the small clog inside the drain of washing machine. Here’s how you can apply baking soda and vinegar, follow this steps:
- Add one box of baking soda in the drain.
- Pour 3 cups of distilled white vinegar in the drain.
- Cover the drain because fizzy reaction occurs.
- Remove the plug.
- Pour boiling water inside the drain in order to remove the clogs.
Add Boiling Water:
Add boiling water in order to remove the small clogs from the filters. To clear the drain of grease and other oily materials that are known to clog drains, simply pour boiling water over the drain.
Here’s the pro Tip, you are able to catch many clogs by catching the lint before it reaches drain. Use items designed to be dropped directly into the laundry drum along with your loads, or place a lint catcher over the drain hose. If you utilize an ongoing lint catcher, don’t forget to give it an occasional cleaning. Also Read: Why is my electric furnace humming when off?
I hope now you understand how to a drain washing machine, because there are many chances that there might be issue with your drain. Issues like lid stuck, broken and jammed pump and drain/ hose clogged. You have to clean your washing machine in order to prevent any clogs in future. Follow all the steps for manually draining the top loading and front loading washing machine. So, keep your washing machine filters clean by following the techniques which are mentioned above in the article. If you face any difficulty after cleaning the drain, then you have to contact to local washing machine cleaner for complete inspection.